Sunday, May 5, 2013

Wandering in Whimsical Wonders: Crystal Palace Gardens of Porto, Portugal


It's been so long since last time I've visited the gardens of Porto's Crystal Palace, I almost forgot what a gorgeous and soothing place it is to be. These gardens were at first created during the 1860's, along with the construction of the original Crystal Palace building. Although the Crystal Palace itself has been (very sadly) demolished and given place to the current Rosa Mota pavilion, the gardens remain as a haven right in the heart of the city; the open designed spaces invite for snug sunbathing and the old, luxuriant woods whisper memoirs of a long past time. There is a semi-natural lake where the ducks and gooses swim and there are peacocks wandering around people in a wide and neverending avenue of centenary linden trees with breathtaking views upon the Douro river. There are dripping romantic grottos embedded in quiet verdant nooks and palm trees that reach for the sky. Alas, taking a walk through these immense gardens is like a journey to our deep inner selves.

I am currently working on a historic garden conservation project for the Crystal Palace within my Master's and managed to convince my boyfriend to come visit the gardens and enjoy the sun with me yesterday afternoon. Since he's such an indoor person, going out together is a really rare thing for us. We are total opposites in this matter; while I would grab a backpack and throw myself to places unknown every weekend if I could, he prefers to stay home cozy and at pleasure. Needless to say I keep telling him that for a person who enjoys nature and camping and stargazing so much, we spend way too much time indoors. Anyhoo... here are some pictures of the amazing gardens we've visited together for the first time in 6 years!










Also, today we celebrate Mother's Day in my country. I don't think I will ever find the words to describe how grateful I am for everything and all the love my mother has given me during these 24 years of life. I love my mom! We're having a family late snack to celebrate. Shellfish in such a gorgeous Spring sunday sounds the best! Yummy. But first, I'm off for the hard part... studying. Yay.


Buterfly wishes,
Ana 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...